DCSB Clan Forum Board  

Go Back   DCSB Clan Forum Board > DCSB Gaming > Team Fortress 2
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old April 30, 2008   #1
Corvus
Former Cow

Angry TF2 is messing up

Hey,

I have a strange problem with Team Fortress 2 since some time. Whenever i start up the game and open the server browser it kills my internet connection. Nothing works any more, ICQ, Opera,.. blabla (and TF2 wont get a server list).
I tried disabling and reenabling my LAN connection, but that wont help, from time to time it helps to just reset my router but that wont help always -.-
Any ideas?
Old April 30, 2008   #2
BFG
Hostile Witness

Rep Power: 33 BFG is a jewel in the roughBFG is a jewel in the roughBFG is a jewel in the rough
Re: TF2 is messing up

I get the same thing, Corvus. Just let it sit a few minutes after starting TF2 and it will return to normal. Sometimes it's 30-45 seconds all the way up to about 3 minutes before it releases its grip on my connection. I have absolutely no idea what causes it and have learned to just "live with it".
Old May 1, 2008   #3
Saiboat
.:DCSB:. Member

hey a mate of mine got a problem with the serverbrowser, too.
first up he only gets like 2 or 3 servers and when he occasionally (sp) gets them all, every single one is "not responding" :S would that be the same bug as you guys have?

last.fm
Saiboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008   #4
EQ²
public static void

Rep Power: 24 EQ² has a spectacular aura aboutEQ² has a spectacular aura aboutEQ² has a spectacular aura about

If I had to guess then maybe it's something to do with your machine pinging the servers that it recieves back from the master server. Maybe all those ping responses make your router think you're being attacked (if it's a particularly stupid router) or cause a memory leak (if it's a particularly broken router) or doesn't want you to play steam games (if it's a router that is related in some way to HAL 9000 and wants to take over the world).

Does your router have any 'intelligent defense' features like DoS protection or anything like that which you can tun off? Also turn off UPnP and other crap that's generally known to make routers unstable. Also, make sure your router's firmware is up to date, out-of-date firmware is responsible for a lot of router crashes and few people take the care to make sure it's kept up to date.

The other possibility (if you find that restarting the router doesn't always cure it) is that it's something with your ISP, like one of the routers upstream of you having issues. In which case not really sure what you can do about that, especially if it's some particularly over-zealous and retarded traffic-shaping.

Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes; that way, when you criticise them you are a mile away and have their shoes.

Last edited by EQ²; May 1, 2008 at 01:53 PM.
EQ² is offline   Reply With Quote